For some reason, one of the things WordPress does not make easy, is creating a drop-down list of categories in your main menu.
Here is a quick tutorial on how to do that.
Before we start, make sure you are on your Menu page, by going to Appearances>Menu.
Now here we go!
1. Make sure you select the correct menu to work on by choosing from the drop-down, if you are not sure which menu is your primary menu, just look closer, it will say next to your menu which is your primary. (After you choose it, don’t forget to hit select!)
2. Then look towards the bottom of the page, and click on the box that says “Custom Links
3. Place a Pound Sign, inside the box that asks for your URL , and for the Link Text, write Categories (or whatever you want to call this menu item).
Click “Add to Menu.”
4. Now choose the categories you want to be included in your drop-down category list.
Click “Add to Menu.”
You don’t have to add all categories, however, you can add categories you would like to have as “sub-categories” to another item, we will talk about that next!
5. Now that you have added your categories to your menu, they will all appear under the category. BUT they aren’t drop-downs yet!
Now you have to drag the categories to the right, just slightly, and they will settle there as “sub-items,” now they are drop-downs!
If you would like a sub-item, of a sub-item. For instance, you have a category called Recipes, but you also have categories called; breakfast, lunch and dinner (and don’t forget dessert!). You can drag the breakdowns of your recipes, underneath the category of recipe, and those will fly out as a sub-item when someone hovers over it!
6. The most important part. Don’t forget to click Save Menu!!!!
I have done it, and when you are creating a category menu, it’s a lot of work! Don’t lose that work, click SAVE!
This is also a good time to make sure you have been working on the correct menu. At the bottom of the page, the box that says “Primary Menu” should be checked.
So there’s the quick and easy tutorial that gives you 6 easy steps to create a drop-down list of categories in your main menu!
Please feel free to ask any questions! And don’t forget to contact me for a consultation if you need one!
[bctt tweet=”The easiest way to add Categories as a drop-down item to your #WordPress menu! “]